The title says it all. I love to travel, meet new people, experience local community and share my knowledge - I do believe a lot of folks in Drupal community have the same passion. I had this idea in my head for quite some time, but I was slightly concerned about it. Then in September 2010 Gabor Hojtsy wrote a blog post Drupal couch surfers - an idea, which helped me to take on more confidence and try it. Few months later, I would like you to meet the idea of community organised trainings, instead of waiting for trainers to come to your area.
How does it work
1. Attendees on the map
If you are interested in any of the offered trainings you pin point yourself on the map. You are able to specify which training you want to attend, it can be multiple trainings, as part of the pin pointing process.
Lets say, there are more than 5 people interested in the training in the radius of 50kms. For these people, there will be a new group created. A hub. Which will be an organic group, where they will:
* Select one person who will be in charge of organising the training - manager
* Find possible venues for training
* Invite new people
* Discuss possible dates
* Complete the task list to make the training happen
Once the task list is done, the trainer will review and gets in touch with the organiser. The training is officialy announced with the specified date and ready to take on official registrations.
As part of my travels and experiencing new culture and people, I am willing to give discounts to people who:
* provide me with a couch (so I don't have to pay for the hotel, thus keeping the costs down)
* spend a day with me and show me the area around the day after the training
* spend time with organising - being organisers
The more people are in the training - minimum 5 - maximum 12 - the less you will have to pay per person, so you can make the training really cheap and affordable to individuals if you find enough people.
* 5 attendees - 230 EUR / person
* 6 attendees - 220 EUR / person
* 7 attendees - 210 EUR / person
* 8 attendees - 200 EUR / person
* 9 attendess - 190 EUR / person
* 10 attendess - 180 EUR / person
* 11 attendess - 170 EUR / person
* 12 attendess - 160 EUR / person
5. Trainings offered
The trainings/workshops I am offering are Theming for designers and Advanced theming.
I have a working solution here on my site and ready to take in your requests - see the training page - http://sotak.co.uk/training
While I was traveling, I've made a quick 3 days stop in Dublin. With the help of local community (namely Stella and Heather) we organised a training for 10 people. It was a great experience, especially hanging out with local people afterwards.
Could this become a platform for any other trainers that have the same passion? I certainly believe so. We can all benefit from having a very friendly community, spread our knowledge even further and make new friends.
So if you are interested in theming training, feel free to pin point yourself on the map here http://sotak.co.uk/training :)
If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate and ask/comment in the comments below.
Btw, this site is on Drupal 7 and using openlayers.